After soccer practice, Kiersten and I were driving home. It is a beautiful evening and we were just talking about soccer, school & stuff. I noticed that there was a family of ducks lined up on the side of the road. It was obvious to me that they were going to cross. Unfortunately, it was Countyline Rd. and it was busy. I admit that I started to slow down and would have stopped for them to cross. (there is a duck crossing sign, isn't there?) A car passed me and I honestly do not know how they could not see the little family starting to cross. I regretfully say that this driver mowed down this mother duck and her six little ducklings. I didn't even see brake lights! There was nothing I could do. I know that Kiersten wanted me to stop the car. There was nothing I could do for them at this point. Now I have a broken hearted 11 year old, and this awful image in my head.
We may have to have a memorial service to help ease Kiersten's anguish. Oh, the preteen sensitivities have begun!
9 comments:
Oh my goodness, Carrie. That is horrible!! I am so sorry you two had to see that. And WHAT was that other driver thinking about that they wouldn't notice???
Oh, that is SO SAD!!!
I had the same thing happen on Wall Triana a few years ago. Every time I pass it, I think of the ducks. So sad. Good luck with emotions.
I'm so sorry you both had to witness that. I think people just plain don't care anymore! They just get in their cars and rush from point A to point B without any care of what gets in their ways - from a momma duck and her ducklings to a car with a mom and her kids - really sad!
Oh my goodness! How aweful. That is such a sad thing for kids to see.
That is so sad! It reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where the farmer shoots the cow(I think it was a cow) with a bus-load of kids watching. Tough thing to have seared in your memory.
So sorry! Tell Kiersten that the ducks are now swimming in lakes of gold, in a place where spring is always in season, the fish taste like pizza, and there are no cars to molest.
Oh, that is so sad!!! I'm so sorry! (((HUGS))) to you both. those emotions at least have a good reason behind them!
I passed the poor family on the way to work this morning, and thought of Kiersten. I hope she is feeling better today.
Post a Comment